- Size - customizable/modular, gender or youth specific
- Color - customizable kits
- Materials/Construction - rugged, lightweight
- Inflation System - style, options, hoses included
- Dump Valve(s) - location, style, #
- Style & Bladder - Jacket, Back-Inflate, Harness/Back Plate
- Weight System - Pocket Style, Capacity, Integrated, Ditchable
- Tank Band - #, locking mechanism
- D-Rings - # / Material
- Accessory Pockets -#, zippered, velcro, octo, rolled, add-ons
- Knife Attachment, hose retainers
- Straps, Releases, Pads etc. -#, quick, continuous, cummerbund, crotch, back pads, butt plates
- Other Info - maintenance/service, warranty
WHAT DO YOU NEED?
BCDs are essential items for all divers when they are properly sized, features understood and used as intended.
All BCD's share the same basic characteristics to provide buoyancy for the diver, securely hold both, the diver and their SCUBA tank in place. How a BCD functions in providing these features varies from manufacturer and style. Beyond the basics - there a large variety of features and innovations. Ultimately it's up to divers to carefully review its readiness, thoroughly understand their BCD's functions, use it as it is intended and have a dive plan in place in case of a BCD failure.
SUMMARY OF THE BASIC TYPES:
- Back Inflate
- Technical - aka Backplate / Harness / Sidemount
- BCD Accessories